About The Book Depository
- Reports to Head of IT
- Full time in TBD offices in Slough, UK
- Starting ASAP
The Book Depository is a UK-based online bookseller serving a truly global customer base, offering a huge range of title available for dispatch within 48 hours. Founded in 2004 to provide 'All Books To All', we focus on selling 'less of more' rather than 'more of less', differentiating ourselves from other retailers who focus on bestsellers. Having forged unique publisher and supplier relationships, we have the ability to dispatch over six million titles within 48 hours with free worldwide delivery, enabling customers to find the books they want. As the world's fastest growing bookseller, The Book Depository saw 2012 sales exceeding £100m, dispatching over 140,000 parcels a week worldwide. In November 2011 we became part of the Amazon family. About Our Developer Role
This role is responsible for development and growth of systems/architectures across several different customer propositions within the group. These include the existing PHP bookdepository.co.uk and bookdepository.com websites, collaboration with partner business, operations and technical teams in TBD, and collaborations with third party systems providers.
Crucial to this is the ability to provide outstanding service to our customers and internal users through the design, development and delivery of world class websites and applications, and offering proactive timely support for them. We run Scrum ecommerce development teams in the Slough, UK office and additional development streams in our offices in Alexandria, Egypt.
Working in the website development team and using the Scrum development framework, the role is responsible for developing a variety of systems from front end websites, 20 million record plus catalogue systems, checkouts, order management systems to cutting edge web 3.0 semantic offerings.
The right candidate will understand the importance of analysing problems and designing solutions and will use the wealth of technical, creative and commercial experience in the team around them to achieve this. They will respect the view of the rest of the team and will conform to development and code standards as they are agreed.Our ideal candidate...:
- Wants to get stuck in from day one and deliver value to the company through hard work.
- Has a highly analytical mind and loves solving problems and creating the right solution.
- Loves technology and the web. Keeps abreast of trends and developments in their spare time. May well run a Linux cluster under their stairs.
- Wants the flexibility and the responsibility that comes with working in an agile development environment.
- Has a strong sense of personal achievement and wants to grow their business focus and technical skills.
- Has the self-motivation and ability to work in fast-paced environment.