You: “Alexa, I’m looking for a job where I can build products straight out of science fiction.”
Alexa: “I have found matching jobs for you in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge, UK. What role are you looking for?”
You: “I’d like to work on making you even smarter than you are today.”
Alexa: “Wonderful. There are multiple roles in Cambridge where you can do that, here are the details … “
Our focus in the Alexa Knowledge team combines natural language understanding, acquiring large volumes of structured knowledge, and building autonomous machine reasoning to allow our customers to get answers to their questions in the most natural way possible. We’re part of a huge research and engineering effort on the Amazon Alexa team.
We’ve solved many complex problems to get to where we are today, but there are still plenty of challenges ahead of us, and Alexa is getting smarter every day. The problems we solve in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge help Alexa get smarter by understanding the different ways people talk, by learning more and more facts about the world, by improving her common sense reasoning and by responding in the most natural way possible in multiple languages.
We set out to build Alexa at Amazon because we believe that voice will fundamentally improve the way people will interact with technology, and we wanted to create a computer in the cloud that could be controlled entirely by your voice.
Alexa is part of a huge engineering effort at Amazon, where we deliver genuinely complex and cutting edge technology at truly global scale; there are tens of millions of Alexa devices out there. We have solved so many different problems to get to where we are today – your role is to own these problems, think big and answer them.
As a Senior Software Development Manager at Evi, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in the design, development, test and deployment of the knowledge base that supports Evi’s question-answering capability. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing high scale, real-time systems, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will own the knowledge base and will hire and develop the team as we continue to grow our capabilities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Taking full service ownership of the knowledge base which enables us to handle millions of questions a day, every day.
- Reporting on the project tracking, quality metrics, operational standards, and system performance;
- Delivering against project plans and program commitments;
- Managing the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment;
- Hiring engineers to continue to grow the team;
- Coaching and developing the engineers to maintain standards and to drive career growth for your direct reports;
- Working closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach.