Want to help build the future of employee-facing career tools at Amazon, as experienced by hundreds of thousands of employees? You can help us design and deliver an awesome employee experience, inventing new processes and building tools to manage reviews, ratings, goals, feedback, career development, and promotions. Come be part of a team that will directly shape and influence the future growth of every employee at Amazon.
We are looking for an outstanding Principal Software Development Engineer to join our growing Global Talent Management team in Edinburgh, Scotland. Successful candidates will have led the architecture, design and engineering of multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully deployed in a business setting. You will have a system-wide, architectural view of the solutions that you build. You will also have strong technical ability, a focus on the customer experience, great teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
You will work with a number of Agile teams at our development centre in Edinburgh, Scotland, launching and growing new talent management initiatives for Amazon's global workforce. You will play a key technical leadership role across a number of teams – they will look to you for advice on the business, technology and operations, giving you the responsibility and authority to ensure success. You will be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, business analysis and technical design through to software development across a variety of technologies. Your systems will meet remarkably high standards of performance and reliability, and will operate at massive scale, 24x7.
The position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills, working directly with senior technical leaders across the company. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to really make a difference to our business by inventing, building and enhancing world class systems, delivering results, and working on exciting and challenging projects that have very high visibility.
As a Principal Engineer you will be expected to:
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects across Global Talent Management’s systems.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems to enable us to scale with the future growth of Amazon.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, and engineering best practices, including modern microservice approaches and web/mobile application development.
- Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.