European Data Center Edge Operations is seeking a passionate, results oriented engineer to drive operational excellence in its colocation based data center operations. This position serves as a technical resource to support Amazon Web Services (AWS) within its geographically distributed Edge Operations. The position will drive overall availability and reliability to meet or exceed the defined service level expectations of data center operations.
The Data Center Engineer will be responsible for working with Biz development on site qualification and selection. In addition the engineer will be responsible for working with the Colo providers to oversee the operation and maintenance of all electrical, mechanical, and HVAC equipment in multiple colocation data centers. This equipment supports mission-critical servers and networking equipment with high uptime expectations. The Data Center Engineer will identify and drive projects to maintain high reliability and performance while keeping operating costs in facilities at a minimum. Where appropriate, the engineer will drive innovation cooperatively with the colocation facility to reduce operational costs.
The Data Center Engineer is Amazon’s front line technical subject matter expert when it comes to hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment operations and troubleshooting. They will work with the Colo provider and Biz Development to ensure the ongoing maintenance and operations of Data Center Operation’s Mission Critical Facilities, which includes stand-by diesel generators and related fuel systems, 3 phase electrical systems that include but not limited to switchgear, UPSs, PDUs, wet cell batteries and associated systems, CRAC, centrifugal chillers, cooling towers/water chemical system, air handlers and associated systems, pumps, & motors.
- Supervise, advise and consult with Colocation operators performing servicing or preventive maintenance.
- Assist in performing root cause analysis for operational issues.
-Perform periodic on site assessments and audits of operations, electrical, and mechanical systems
-Supervise the design and implementation of retrofits of existing facilities
- Qualify new sites for new deployments
- Drive operational excellence in all data center sites
- Perform first level trouble-shooting for facility and rack level events.
- Approval of all CMs (Change Management Tasks) to enable changes and maintenance at sites.
- Perform basic support concepts such as ticketing systems, root cause analysis, and task prioritization.