Do you have both broad and deep knowledge of networking, virtualization, operating systems, application architectures, web applications, LOB apps, databases, and the new scale-out style of applications designed for the cloud? Do you have a passion for helping government agencies and educational institutions to implement innovative IT solutions? Do you have a knack for helping customers to build a deep understanding of new cloud platforms and application architectures, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch cloud computing projects on trajectories to success? Are you knowledgeable about security best practices for applications, servers, and networks?
Amazon is looking for its Amazon Web Services (AWS) business highly skilled and motivated Solution Architects to help accelerate its growing public business in the UK and EMEA. You would be one of the founding members of a dynamic team bringing the latest in disruptive, cut-edge cloud computing technologies to bear on the difficult cost and agility problems facing public sector organizations. The business development and accounting management teams, part of the larger Worldwide Public Sector AWS team based in Herndon, Virginia, USA, will help accelerate the adoption of AWS as the leading cloud technology platform in the public sector.
As a Public Sector Solution Architect within the AWSbusiness, you will have the opportunity to help shape and deliver on a strategy to build mind share and broad usage of AWS's utility computing services (such as Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Elastic MapReduce, and Amazon CloudFront) within public sector organizations and the larger ecosystem that supports them. Your broad responsibilities will include: supporting the technical engagement, removing the technical accounts management blockers, help define implementation and transition architectures, help responding to RFIs and RFPs, and achieving ultimate success around specific technical projects. To achieve those goals—and building on your broad background and technical breadth and depth in security, networking, operating systems, storage, and application architecture –you will develop expertise in all AWS technologies, and deep understanding of how customer applications and services are best built and operated on the AWS cloud computing platform.
The ideal candidate will … Be great fun to work with
. Our company credo is “Work hard. Have fun. Make history”. As the right candidate, you will love what you do, and instinctively know how to make work fun. You will be dynamic and creative, and willing to take on any challenge. Enjoy working with public sector customers and partners.
You have a passion for educating, training, designing, and building cloud computing systems for some of the world’s largest and most important organizations. Have a strong understanding of government mandates, security, standards, and compliance for designing large scale cloud computing solutions.
The ideal candidate hasa variety of experiences working as an architect and systems or software or network engineer. You will enjoy keeping your existing technical skills and developing new ones, to the point that you can not only contribute to but help lead deep architecture discussions around systems and applications in the cloud. You will regularly take part in deep-dive education and design exercises along with technical discussions to help create world class systems for government agencies, educational institutions, and AWS partners who operate in the public sector space, including system integrators and ISVs. You will be happy to roll up your sleeves, learn the deep details of systems, possibly write some code, and generally do what it takes to achieve technical success for customers on the AWS platform.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Executive speaking and presentation skills – Formal presentations, white boarding, large and small group presentations.
- Technical – Web services development/deployment experience, IT systems and network engineering experience, security and compliance experience, etc.
- Operational – Website/web services as well as traditional IT networking, operations, management, and security experience.
- Economic and business – RFP/Acquisition support; market analysis; cost benefit analysis, etc.
- Government and education – Advisory/consulting experience with national and local governments, as well as educational institutions of all types.
- Serve as a key member of the business development and accounting management team in helping to ensure agency and institution success in building and migrating applications, software and services on the AWS platform.
- Assist solution providers and government agencies with the definition and implementation of technical and business strategies.
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the worldwide AWS solution architect community, as well as your public sector SA team.
- Understand the AWS market segments, and industry verticals.
- Understand and exploit the use of internal business support systems.