You: “Alexa, I’m looking for a job where I can build products straight out of science fiction.”
Alexa: “I have found matching jobs for you in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge, UK. What role are you looking for?”
You: “I’d like to work on making you even smarter than you are today.”
Alexa: “Wonderful. There are multiple roles in Cambridge where you can do that, here are the details … ”
Our focus in the Alexa Knowledge team combines natural language understanding, acquiring large volumes of structured knowledge, and building autonomous machine reasoning to allow our customers to get answers to their questions in the most natural way possible. We’re part of a huge research and engineering effort on the Amazon Alexa team.
We’ve solved many complex problems to get to where we are today, but there are still plenty of challenges ahead of us, and Alexa is getting smarter every day. The problems we solve in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge help Alexa get smarter by understanding the different ways people talk, by learning more and more facts about the world, by improving her common sense reasoning and by responding in the most natural way possible in multiple languages.
We set out to build Alexa at Amazon because we believe that voice will fundamentally improve the way people will interact with technology, and we wanted to create a computer in the cloud that could be controlled entirely by your voice.
Alexa is part of a huge engineering effort at Amazon, where we deliver genuinely complex and cutting edge technology at truly global scale; there are tens of millions of Alexa devices out there. We have solved so many different problems to get to where we are today but there are many more remaining – your role is to own these problems, think big and answer them.
We’re looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our rapidly expanding group in Cambridge, England to help achieve that goal. If you thrive on working with big data in high performance teams then this is the place for you.
The ideal candidate is clearly passionate about new opportunities and has a demonstrable track record of success. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience working with large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
Your responsibilities will include:
· Collaborating with software development engineers on the team to produce automated business insight reports that will guide our technical roadmap.
· Designing and running adhoc reports to gain insight into customer behavior and system performance.
· Ensuring that all our data analysis complies with our stringent security and privacy policies.
· Working closely with stakeholders in other teams (such as our Product team) to field requests for information which are often ambiguously stated and/or on short timescales.
· Proposing self-service interfaces we can build to replace requests that we field regularly.
· Defining automated, scalable reports that will automatically generate the insight and information that our customers within the business most often ask us to provide.