Play a leading role in operational risk management at Amazon, where we have a history and tradition of leading the world in innovative technologies and services. Reporting to the head of datacenter risk & resiliency within Infrastructure, you will have the chance to join a team that partners across the organization to shape the future of Amazon Web Services’ evolving risk profile.
You will play a key role with due diligence and site selection efforts in existing and new regions by compiling and analyzing geographical location and specific prospective site information, including (i) permitting and land use data, (ii) data on energy (including renewable energy), water and wastewater availability and cost, (iii) network connectivity, (iv) natural hazard, floodplain and climatological data, and (v) legal, physical risk and financial implications.
You will manage risk assessments: reporting, verifying and advocating, assuring key business operations can be continue despite interruptive events.
You will drive the continuous assessment of hazards across our global datacenter footprint. You will also develop metrics and communicate performance to technical teams and senior leadership. This position has the potential to take on as much responsibility as you can handle.
The right person will demonstrate proven program management experience to deliver multiple high priority projects at the same time. You have the ability to synthesize diverse data to identify trends and prioritize remediation efforts. You understand risk management concepts and can speak intelligently about our risk appetite.Key Responsibilities include:
- Guide the expansion of Amazon facilities and services in new and existing regions globally.
- Evaluate management systems, current practices and site conditions relative to risk appetite, enhancing understanding of exposures and guiding implementation of processes to meet internal standards.
- Assess and draw conclusions from a wide range of real estate, engineering, construction, policy, planning, and business development considerations such as natural hazards, manmade risks, energy requirements, networks, utility availability, land use, zoning, permitting, environmental and social impacts, design, demand, and incentives.
- Review and prioritize risk-based mitigation recommendations, partnering with internal stakeholders to obtain budget and managing projects to successful resolution.
- Consolidate, quantify and compare inputs such as these, evaluate cost, design/build risk and schedule implications, and select regions and sites for development.
- Interface with government entities and policymakers in the search for and assessment of new locations and the development of business opportunities.
- Manage consultants and client relationships and coordinate internal teams.
- Develop internal metrics, goals, and key performance indicators; manage and drive the continuous risk assessment of our datacenters; and develop long term goals, metrics and key performance indicators to drive continuous improvement aimed at enhancing platform resiliency.
- Review and prioritize risk-based mitigation recommendations, partnering with internal stakeholders to obtain budget and managing projects to successful resolution